The primary purpose of these House Rules is to help all the residents in the house to live peacefully and harmoniously together.
MyStudentHouse sublets rooms in the house to other “Residents” and manages the property as a lodging house.
Please follow these simple House Rules to avoid any misunderstanding and to ensure that the house/apartment stays in good order.
1 General Rules
- Residents are responsible for cleaning their room and common areas.
- At NO TIME are residents permitted to become abusive (verbally or physically) with any other resident or MyStudentHouse staff members in order to resolve disputes.
- No nails, hooks, Blu Tack or other fixings may be applied to any part of the house without permission. No equipment or furniture may be removed from the house without prior agreement from the landlord.
- No additional appliances are allowed in the house (washing machine, TV, dryer, microwave, fridge, heaters, fans, etc.) unless you have the written permission of MyStudentHouse management.
- Disputes must be reported to MyStudentHouse who will attempt resolution between all residents involved before passing it on to the relevant authorities if required.
- Common areas are cleaned once every two (2) weeks. THE CLEANERS DO NOT WASH DISHES OR PICK UP / WASH DIRTY CLOTHES or put the rubbish out. The cleaners will clean for approximately 2 (two) hours.
- A gardener will be at your house as the need arises. They will mow the lawn and cut back overgrown shrubs and trees, but they will not water or maintain the landscape in any other way.
- All furniture, fixtures, and inclusions must remain as they are not be removed at any time.
- All wheelie rubbish bins must be left inside the front gate unless being collected on bin day by Council.
- Absolutely no TV/Radio/Music or loud talking in the common areas after 10 PM.
- Don’t slam the doors – use the handle to close them softly. Please consider other housemates.
- It is not a guest house – keep your friend visits to minimum.
- No subletting allowed. If we find someone else living in your room, your agreement will be terminated immediately and your security deposit will be forfeited.
2 Resident’s Room
- Bedrooms must be cleaned on a weekly basis and a MyStudentHouse team member might inspect your room (if necessary).
- Rooms have been cleaned prior to your arrival. It must be professionally cleaned when you vacate and a receipt must be supplied when you return your keys.
- You can request our cleaner to do it for you at a cost of $25/half an hour. We provide all cleaning products.
3 Common Areas
- Common areas in the property include:
- The kitchen and meals area
- Shared toilets and bathrooms
- Outdoor areas
- The laundry
- Any part of the property which is shared by the residents
- Residents and their guests must leave common areas neat, clean and tidy after using them.
- No personal items should be left unattended in common areas.
- If the common areas are not kept cleaned we will send the cleaner to do it and the defaulter or all residents will be charged $50 per hour for cleaning.
- If it is your roasted cleaning week, you must clean the common area and perform other duties as per the roaster provided in the kitchen.
- All residents must ensure all lights, air conditioners, heaters and fans are turned off when not in use or if you are not home.
- No shopping trolleys are to be brought onto or near the property at any time (fines may be incurred).
- No clothes are to be left lying around in any area of the property (including the laundry and clothesline).
- All kitchen appliances, work surfaces and benches should be cleaned after use.
- You are provided with space in the fridge and cupboard. Keep your belongings in these areas. Your name should be affixed to all your belongings.
- Keep an eye on your food and be aware of when it goes off, otherwise if rotten it will end up in the bin. Empty and clean the fridge once every two weeks.
- Thoroughly clean all cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils, dishes etc with washing up liquid, straight after you finish using them. Do not leave this for later. Being late for university, work or an exam is not an excuse
- Clean the under-dishes, tray, working surface, sink and the bench.
- Wipe all the kitchen surfaces, kitchen bench, and table whenever it’s not clean and it needs attention.
- Clean microwave oven (inside and out)
- Clean inside the oven using a cleaning agent
- Sweep the floor when needed
- RangeHood to be kept “ON” while cooking
- Bathroom areas must be left free of excess water on the floor or vanity areas.
- Disinfect toilet, shower, bath tub, sink, taps and the floor
- Clean walls, glass doors and floor where dirty as well as bathroom cupboard
- Empty and disinfect the bin buckets
- Do not take long showers and prevent excessive usage of water
- Turn off the taps properly to avoid any leakage
6 Laundry Area
- Empty wash machine as soon as the cycle is finished. Remember to empty the filter. No washing before 7 am and after 9.30pm
- Iron & ironing board – when finished with iron, turn off and unplug from the wall and leave them in their designated area
- Residents must keep noise to a minimum in consideration of other residents.
- Residents must keep TVs and radios at an acceptable level as not to disturb other residents or to create noise pollution at all times. No audio to be played in common areas after 10pm.
8 Internet & Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi will be provided for those with their own devices, e.g. laptop
- Please follow Australian Internet regulatory requirements while using the MyStudentHouse internet connection.
9 Illegal Activity
- Illegal substances will not be tolerated and offenders will be reported to the Police and will be asked to leave the house immediately.
- Drunk/Disorderly behaviour is unacceptable and will be immediately reported to the authorities.
- Breaching any of these rules is considered a serious misconduct and will result in MyStudentHouse terminating your Accommodation Agreement. Your bond repayment will be forfeited and the incident will be reported to the police.
10 Dress Standards
- Residents must maintain a reasonable standard of dress in consideration of other residents.
11 General Property Maintenance & Repairs
- All repairs and maintenance must be reported to MyStudentHouse as soon as noticed, by using the maintenance form on the website www.mystudenthouse.com.au
- Residents are responsible for the smoke alarm in their room (if fitted). You must not tamper with, touch or remove batteries or any other part of the smoke alarm. If your neglect results in Fire Services attending the property due to a false alarm, you will be made responsible for any fees that may be charged.
12 Oil drips/spillage
Any cars parked on driveways, under carports and garage must have a drip tray placed underneath. Only if the vehicle does not drip any oil at all then a drip trip is not required. Please note any vistors car must be parked off the premises if they drip oil. Should oil drips/spillage occur at any time this must be cleared up immediately to prevent oil seeping in and permanently staining. Please note any permanent staining will result in compensation being charged to the tenant.
13 Visitors and Guest Responsibilities
- Residents must ensure their guests are aware of and comply with the House Rules for these premises and do not interfere with the reasonable peace, comfort or privacy of other residents. You are solely responsible for the welfare and behaviour of your guests, and will be accountable if they fail to adhere to the House Rules.
- Visitors are prohibited from entering the rooms of residents other than their host and residents are responsible for the conduct of their visitors including payment for any damage or breakage that may occur.
- Residents must ensure their guests leave all common areas clean and tidy after using them. Visitors must leave the property by 10.00pm.
14 Non-Resident Guests – Sleeping Over
- Guests are not allowed to stay overnight unless they have the permission of MyStudentHouse management. The resident will be charged a minimum of $75per night for any guest staying with them after the expiry of written permission.
- At all times, we ask that you show respect for your fellow housemates by notifying them of who is staying and for how long.
- Non-resident guests can only be accommodated in the resident’s room. Empty rooms, sofas and any part of the common area are not to be used for overnight stays under any circumstances.
- No animals (or pets) are to be kept on the premises AT ANY TIME!!
16 Property / Room Keys and if you are Locked Out
- Residents must not give their room key to anyone.
- Replacement key fee of $35.00 per key.
- If you are locked out, and a staff member is available to attend charges will apply
- during working hours (Monday to Friday 09.00 am – 5.00 pm) is $50 – first visit is free.
- Outside normal office hours or on weekends or public holidays is $150
- If you are locked out, and a staff member is not available to attend you will be required to contact a licensed locksmith and you must pay them directly.
- Residents must not tamper (interfere) with or make copies of keys without permission from MyStudentHouse management.
MyStudentHouse accepts no responsibility for lost/stolen/damaged personal belongings during your stay in the house. We encourage all tenants to take out their own personal contents insurance.
18 Emergency Contact
Phone ‘000’ for Police, Fire and Ambulance
19 Smoking & Burning Candles
- Smoking, burning candles, oil burners, incense burners, bar/oil heaters etc. are prohibited at all times inside the house. Residents may ONLY smoke outside.
- DO NOT leave cigarette butts lying around or in containers anywhere on the property.
- Anyone found smoking inside the house will be charged of upwards of $350 to clean the house thoroughly to make it smoke free.
20 Vacating (Leaving) Processes
- Vacating your room:We request that you vacate your room by 12am on the final day of your lease.
- Cleaning your room:Rooms need to be left in the same condition as they were given to you. You must have your room and your shared bathroom professionally cleaned at the time of leaving. Rent will be charged until the room is cleaned. Receipt showing the professional cleaning company name and their ABN/ACN must be deposited with MyStudentHouse as proof. You can also request a MyStudentHouse cleaner to do the existing cleaning on your behalf, however fees apply. Cleaning charges apply if your room and common areas are not cleaned. Minimum charge is $40 for one hour.
- Damage to the Room/MyStudentHouse property:We will invoice you for the costs of repairing any damage done to your room and/or MyStudentHouse property
- Personal belongings:Be sure to remove all of your personal belongings from the room/house – any items remaining after your departure will be deemed unwanted and will be disposed of after 48 hours. Please note that it’s not ok to fill the bins with large amounts of personal trash when vacating your room. This leaves your other housemates with no room for regular rubbish and may require us to send a contract rubbish collector at a cost to you. Plus it’s unfair to your old housemates. Boxes and/or cardboard must be disposed of at a disposable site and not in the rubbish bin or around it. If found we will dispose of them at a cost to you.
- Keys:Keys should be left in the room on the study desk. If keys are not returned we will call the locksmith to change locks at a cost to you.
- Security deposit:Upon the receipt and approval of your Final Account Statement and room inspection, we will return your security deposit in your nominated account within 14 days. If there are any deductions we will email you beforehand. Please email us your bank account details to return the amount.
21 Breaking your lease agreement
- If you decide to break your lease agreement early (i.e. prior to the expiration date) one of the options outlined below may be explored as a remedy. As the resident, you understand that these will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and any final decision made is at the sole discretion of MyStudentHouse management:
Option 1: You find an Acceptable Replacement
- The resident will either have to find a suitable replacement to continue for the term of the original tenancy agreement. In this case, you will still be charged a $150 administration fee to amend the agreement.
Option 2: We find an Acceptable Replacement
- MyStudentHouse management will find a replacement resident on your behalf. However, you will be charged an advertisement fee ($100) and a one-off administration fee of $150 to amend the agreement as well as any additional fees to cancel the tenancy agreement.
IMPORTANT: You are required to continue to pay until an Acceptable Replacement is found
- If none of the above options are chosen or possible, the original resident is required to continue paying the full monthly rental amount as agreed on the tenancy agreement contract until a suitable replacement is found or until the tenancy agreement expires.
22 Room Moves
- After you have signed your tenancy lease agreement, should you wish to move rooms (subject to room availability), you will incur a $150 Administration Fee, which is payable upfront (prior to moving rooms).
23 Accommodation Agreement Breeches
- Any breach of the House Rules or special conditions in your lease agreement will result in the cancellation of your agreement. You will be asked to leave the room and your security deposit will be forfeited.
24 Contract Cancellation
MyStudentHouse reserve the right to cancel your agreement with two weeks’ notice (or has mentioned in your written contract) in a case where there is a change in property management, lease agreement, or ownership.
MyStudentHouse shall be indemnified against all actions, damages, fees, expenses or losses incurred by you (or your guests and visitors) suffered or incurred by you as a result of your occupation of the premises or the use of any furnishings provided by us.